New Year. New Milestones.
Wednesday, August 15th marked the beginning of our fourth school year! Although the day opened with clouds and rain, this did not dampen the excitement of our 182 new Kindergarten through 4th-grade learners. Equipped with eager smiles, learners enthusiastically entered their new classrooms ready for a new year of learning.
At The Biome, we value a diversity of thought, background, experience, and culture. We believe that diversity enriches our community and further extends learning opportunities for our entire school. This year, we are proud to highlight our growing diversity in both our learners and our staff.
This year our learners come from over 40 St. Louis City neighborhoods, further creating a diverse student population. On average, our teaching staff possesses 14 years of teaching experience. Collectively, they hold 33 degrees, 14 advanced degrees, and over 30 certifications. In addition, to our teaching staff, we are proud to once again be awarded a state AmeriCorps Program grant, which allows us to host 10 AmeriCorps members this school year. Our AmeriCorps members play an integral role in our school by providing support as classroom assistants and leaders in our extended day programs.
New milestones we will look forward to this year include:
- Installation of our new modular building which will greatly expand our classroom space
- Installation of a new greenhouse
- Participating in the third year of our zoo school partnership
- The second year of implementation of our comprehensive literacy program
- Implementation of a new Envisions math program
- Introduction of a new music program and new Biome Benefit Concert (April 13, 2019)
We invite you to get meet our community and get involved. School tours begin September 17th. Schedule your tour today and explore The Biome School as we continue to learn and grow this year!